Grammar test : Conjunctions and Prepositions
Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions.
1. The officer is _____ duty.
2. The police resorted—- indiscriminate firing.
3. I am not acquainted _______her.
4. I warned him ______the danger.
5. He is famous _____ his novels.
6. She laughed ________me mockingly.
7. The prisoner was found guilty ______ murder.
8. He parted ________his children with tears.
9. The king rules _______a vast country.
10. I told him to talk _________ something else.
11. I relied ______the information you gave me.
12. We rejoiced ______ his success.
13. Laura is content ________ what she has.
14. I am obliged _________you _____your kindness.
15. The chairman is averse ________the idea of relocating.
1. on 2. To 3. With 4. Of 5. For 6. at 7. Of 8. From 9. Over
10. about 11. On/ upon 12. At 13. with 14. To . for 15. to
Prepositions are short words (on, in, to) that usually stand in front of nouns (sometimes also in front of gerund verbs).
70 prepositions,which are tested often:
Conjunctions are joining words. Conjunctions bring words and phrases together.
Conjunctions List 1
for / and / nor / but / or / yet / so
- or – introduces change
- so – can also indicate a result or consequence will be forthcoming.
- and – when you wish to link two things together.
- But – introduces contrast into a sentence.
- Nor – brings forth an alternative negative idea.
- yet – introduces a contrasting thought.
Conjunctions List 2
These conjunctions occurs in pairs.
- not only/but also
- no sooner/than
Fill in the blanks with suitable conjunctions.
1. Wait here till I return.
2. I like him since he is honest.
3. I do it _______I choose to.
4. The wallet has been lost _____ stolen.
5. I will not come ____ it rains.
6. He failed in the first attempt, _______he tried again.
7. We will take up the project ______ the time is ripe.
8. I will not go ________ I am invited.
9. He must have passed this way…… is no other road.
10. We will come _____________it rains _________ not.
11. His plans ________vast, were never visionary.
12. It is a long time ______we last saw him.
13. She finished first _______ she began late.